Undoing your locs are always a stressful journey because it takes a long time to complete. Depending on the length and thickness of your dreads it can take hours or days to undo your dreads. Another disadvantage of undoing locs is the excessive hair loss, I have seen people lose up to 3/4 of their hair length but, on the opt side, it’s better than cutting your dreads off.
Moisturising Dreadlocks Before Combing Out Locs
So, how to undo locs and decrease hair loss, by taking good care of your locs before you undo them. Allow your dreadlocks two months of moisturizing on a daily basis and don’t use any products in your hair except for natural oils like coconut, olive, and Jamaican Castro oil. By doing this, you are decreasing product build-up, which in turn lowers the chances of excess hair loss.
Stop Retwisting Dreads
Stop retwisting your hair and allow your new growth. If you have to retwist your hair only twist, the roots do not go straight down to the ends. Allow your hair space to grow. During my research on undoing locs, I have seen 98% of people who comb out their dreads lose the majority of their hair. Some of them cut out the ends first before unraveling their locs. Don’t do this!
How to Undo Locked Dreads?
- Separate your locs into sections and wet the portion you are working on in hot water.
- Dry your hair and apply a generous amount of conditioner.
- Start from the bottom of each loc and alternate between a rat tail comb and a safety pin depending on the thickness of your hair.
- Pick through each loc until it loosens and shed hair and work your way until you have unraveled each dread.
- Once each loc is out. Take the rat tail comb and comb through to get the excess dirt and shed out.
- When you’re finished, give your hair a deep conditioning treatment to further rejuvenate the hair.
- Moisturize and style.
Most women who want to get rid of their dread automatically believe that they have to cut it off. This is not true. You can gently comb through your locs with water and conditioner to soften your dreads.
I have seen two YouTubers who have combed out their locs and have not lost most of their hair in the process. Similarly, if you are unsure of which method to use, try both techniques to see which is the best. Remember, if you have decided to undo your dread prep a month or two before, by moisturizing daily with oils and don’t re-twist.
Read More: Tips To Maintain Fresh Dreads After Gym And Sweating.