Turbans and head wraps are used to wrap around your dreads for style and express creativity. There are many colours and style available depending on the thickness and length of your dreadlocks, it will determine the size of the turban or head wrap needed.
Further, wraps can be used before or after a re-twist to maintain a fresh twist. However, you should not wear a head wrap all day nor immediately after washing because your dreads need fresh air to dry.
Dreads Preparation before turban/headwrap
- Dry Dreads–You should never cover your dreads when it is damp because you may get dread rot leaving locs smelly and mouldy.
- Tie up dreads–Tieing up your dreadlocks ensure that no locs are sticking out of your freshly wrap hair. You can also use a dreads cap to secure locs.
- The correct length of cloth–This depends on the length of your dreads and style. Wrapping your head in a safe turban length is at least one yard of cloth. With dreads, silk wraps are recommended but sometimes I use whichever wrap that complements my clothing, this can be soft stretchy cotton material.
- The Style–The style of the wrap depends on how you want your turban wrap to look, there are many ways to wrap your dreads so choose one and master that style.
How To Wrap Dreads With Turban Or Head Wrap?
- First, tie your dreads or use a dreadlocks cap to secure your locs.
- Take the cloth and fold an insignificant piece to the top- this folded piece will rest on your forehead.
- Rest the cloth on your forehead and ensure the two ends are even then, press down the cloth on your head so it is nice and smooth.
- Cross the two ends at the back of your head and pull, then wrap and tuck both sides.
- There you go, a simple but effective head wrap.
A list of My Favourites Hair Wraps and Turbans I Use On My Hair
L’vow Headwrap– For an excellent price the L’vow wraps are 63″ in length and 32″ in width, making it easy to wrap around long and thick dreads. These wraps are available in beautiful colours and patterns and are breathable and stenchy.
Novarena Soft head wrap– Large to wrap every length of dreads and is very breathable. They came in very vibrant colours and easy to tie.
HongyuAmy– I try to use very long, wraps but I can resist the print of this head wrap. This looks amazing if you want to leave some of your dreads out or in a bun.
Qnprt Stretch Wrap– This is a combo pack where there is a stretchy wrap with a pair of earrings, a small brush and a cap.
Turban or head wrap is another way to express your creativity, choose one you can pair with any outfit and a simple wrap style goes a long way.
Ping back- How Do You Make LOC Hair Jewellery- Copper and Yarn?