Rice water has recently gained a lot of popularity amongst the natural hair community. However, this isn’t a new trend since people in China have been using rice water as hair growth and strengthens aid for centuries.
Table of Contents
- The Benefits Of Rice Water To Dreadlocks
- How To Make Rice Water for Your Dreadlocks?
- How to wash dreadlocks with Rice Water?
But why is rice water so beneficial to hair growth and more importantly is rice water good for dreads? Yes, it is. Because it regenerates, promotes hair growth and strengthens hair strand.
Like many natural products, there’s a bit of precaution. Because rice water softens your hair, wait until your dreads are in its mature stage before using. Additionally, fragmented rice water increases the appearance of flakes, so it is best to use this product in moderation, especially if you suffer from extremely dry scalp.
The Benefits Of Rice Water To Dreadlocks
According to Heartline studies have shown the inositol in rice water penetrate and repair damaged hair. It also increases your hair flexibility, in turn, making your dreads more manageable.
Rice water is high in protein, therefore, it is one of the best homemade protein treatment.
Other benefits include:
- Acts as a shield to protect your hair from damage.
- Improve the overall health of your hair.
- Fermented rice water brings down the pH in your hair.
- Fermented rice water also contains “pitera” which promotes regeneration plus, keep your hair and skin healthy.
How To Make Rice Water for Your Dreadlocks?
Rice water is versatile, so it is very easy to personalize. The two key ingredients are water and rice, but lemon and essential oils are added to boost the benefits.
Plus, after a day or two rice water has a horrible smell, as a result, sweet-smelling essential oils like lavender and grape seed oils are added to the mixture.
The first time I tried making rice water, I followed the ingredients and instructions correctly. However, I left the mixture for three days without storing it in the refrigerator and sprayed it in my hair. The smell was horrible, so I immediately washed my dreads. Yet, I couldn’t get out the smell for days.
The moral of the story is to use your mixture right after you have finished or store it in the fridge. You can also make enough so you can use all in one session.
There is a debate on whether to boil, fragment or soak rice water. The correct answer is: they all offer tremendous benefits. Furthermore, you can use any rice you like but ensure it is organic.
Soaked rice water for dreads:
- Add 1 cup of uncooked rice to a bowl and rinse it thoroughly.
- Place rice in 2-3 glasses of water and leave for 30 minutes.
- Shake the mixture to distribute the nutrients.
- After, strain the rice water into a clean bowl.
- For enhanced benefits, leave for two days until sour.
Or boil whichever is convenient to you.
- Place one cup of rice into two cup water and cook the rice in boiling water.
- Strain the rice water into a clean bowl before use.
How to wash dreadlocks with Rice Water?
It is best to start with clean hair, this can be after shampooing your locs. Then, transfer the mixture to a spray bottle and coat hair. Finally, cover your dreads with a shower cap and let it sit for 20-30 minutes and rinse.
Rinsing your dreadlocks with rice water is an excellent addition to your healthy hair regimen. But, don’t expect instant hair growth as with consistency and time you’ll notice the difference.